- The curriculum at Holy Cross Is designed to provide a broad and balanced education that meet the needs of all pupils and develops the skills, knowledge and understanding to prepare them for their future lives.
- Our approach to learning, throughout the curriculum embeds our vision and mission statement. We endeavour to ensure that every pupil leaving Holy Cross is Confident, Aspirational, Resilient, Enquiring and Spiritual. (C.A.R.E.S.)
- Our curriculum develops key skills to support academic success, creativity and problem solving, responsibility and resilience underpinned through our C.A.R.E.S. values
- The curriculum celebrates the unique location of our school, utilising the cultural, historical, and geographical “wealth” of our Island and the impact of its pioneering past and present residents.
- We want our children to have limitless ambition. We encourage children to build on success and learn from and build on disappointment. This is after all, how we all experience life beyond our school years. Our curriculum is not solely based on what takes place in the classroom, but the added value we offer throughout our curriculum.
At Holy Cross we offer a curriculum which is broad and balanced. One that builds on the knowledge, understanding and skills of all children, whatever their starting points personally, socially and academically as they progress through each Key Stage.
We have five Holy Cross values that underpin our school and the community that we strive to create. These values permeate all aspects of life at Holy Cross. These are then explored as a whole school theme, in assemblies and in the teaching of both core and foundation subjects.
The Holy Cross curriculum is carefully planned to combine knowledge, skills and curriculum themes to produce a purposeful and exciting learning journey for each child. We have developed the curriculum to provide practical, real life and experiential activities, always taking into account the children’s needs, abilities and interests.
In providing a broad and balanced curriculum, we offer a holistic approach to teaching and learning, promoting quality thinking, reasoning and questioning skills, engaging and stimulating all learners across the school. Staff have high expectations for all, providing quality first teaching, strategic planning and informative assessments.
Our curriculum planning builds on prior knowledge and learning experiences, linking our C.A.R.E.S. themes and accessing the wealth of resources available to us through our unique location and ready access to locations of historical and cultural importance.
The sequential planning through each subject/topic allows children to deepen their understanding and skill acquisition at age appropriate levels. Our curriculum planning takes place organically, through discussion, the sharing of ideas and reflection on professional knowledge, experience and expertise. This whole school planning approach enables us to plan strategically, identifying links between subjects and year groups, mapping the acquisition and development of new skills and knowledge.
Activities are differentiated to meet the needs of all learners including those with SEND, high and low attainers and EAL. Other activities that will support our teaching and learning throughout the school include, educational visits, whole school activities, sporting events, cultural visits/experiences, local community events and residential opportunities both on the Island and beyond.